The Training Forum >> Need some advice!!!

Need some advice!!!

Hi, first I want to say I'm glad to find a site like this with a forum.  I've got a 8 month old Chocolate Lab that I've been working with since 6 weeks.  I did not send her to a trainer, and did most of the work on my own (with the help of the internet, and other sources on shed finding).  She seems to be doing pretty well, and currently we are working on finds on my 5 acre property.  My concern is that I have her working with some older sheds, and was a little concerned about the amount of scent they are putting out.  I purchased a product (Antler Scent) from Moore products at a local archery shop.  Since I have been using the product it seems like my lab is a bit confused with the scent, and having a more difficult time finding the sheds.  I also used the product on a throw dummy just for obedience training, and fetch.  Was that a bad idea?  Thanks again for your help.....

Re: Need some advice!!!

Hi there - Okay - we never never never use Antler Scent.  We do find it to be confusiing to the dogs.  If anything with old horns you can soak them in water and get a better effect.  Also be sure to change up the types of horns you use - old, new, last years etc....this way your dog does not get used to finding one shed!  Hope this helps.  Let me know.  Amy

Amy,

Thanks for the reply.  I will just soak in water.  What do you think about putting the antler scent on cloth bumper just for playing, fetching, training?  Thanks

Hi there - There are conflicting arguments however - at least here at Antler Ridge we never use Antler Scent.  If you finds that it helps you go for it but we personally do not use it.  Let me know how your training is going.  Amy

check out this dog breed.kombai dog