The Training Forum >> When are they ready?

When are they ready?

Hey guys and Gals,

I have a 4 month old Lab that i have been training to find antlers. I feel like he is really progressing and could be a great shed dog. I just wonder if he is doing as well as i think. I feel like he is doing great, but then again it is my dog.... So here is the situation. I started playing fetch with him when he was only 8 weeks old, he picked that up with no problem. Then at 10 weeks i started asking him "where is the bone" before i through the antler. When he looked at the shed i would throw it. That way he would learn what the name of the object he was looking for was. Then i would start putting a shed out in the middle of the front room and tell him to "find the bone". In a matter of days he had mastered that too, so i started making it more and more difficult for him to find them. (hiding them under tables, around corners, ect.) Once again, within a few days it was to easy. So then i made the bold move and started all over again but outside. So currently i am to the point where i can hide 4-6 antlers in my back yard (1 acre) and he can find them. I hide them in the hedge row, around trees, brush piles, tall grass. He seems to sniff them out with out any problem. My question is should i make the next move and take him to a bigger field? I do not want to discourage him this early in the game, but i want him to be challanged. Any advise or words of wisdom?

Thanks

Re: When are they ready?

you guys are no help!!!

Re: When are they ready?

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner we were having problems with our computers.  Yes I think it sounds like your dog is doing great and I would move to a bigger field and keep changing the fiedls so he does not get used to working only one type of space.  Again sorry for the delay.  Amy

Get RSS feed

Having troubles training a Vizsla
9/22/2014 - venisoneater99
Losing Interest
6/16/2014 - ivorytip
Breed of Choice for Antlerdog
6/3/2014 - Elknr
New Puppy
1/8/2014 - Cody M
Antler Dog Training
12/20/2013 - ivorytip

More discussions...